Saturday, September 15, 2018

Inspired by Art – Mixed Media Folder Cover


Hello crafty people,

Today I have a very special project to share with you all. I created a mixed media cover for a 15x12x3” folio folder. I created this folio folder as a box in which I can carry my craft supplies while traveling. I got inspired by all the left over & unused broken colors, brushes and paint tubes and decided to create my cover with them.


This project is very close to me as it truly brings out the art in our craft. So, without further ado lets dig in!
  • I created this on an A3 size white pastel sheet cut down to 15x12”. 
  • I used medical gauge to add my first layer of texture with the help of mod-podge. 
  • Mod-podge helped in securing my paper as I am not working on a watercolor paper.  




  • Next I covered the whole page with a coat of white gesso to be able to work with different colors.




  • I added some more texture using stencils and texture paste here and there. (the color is from my last project which i totally forgot to clean, but no issues it will be covered up later)



  • After drying my texture paste, I adhered all my embellishments with heavy body gel medium. I let it dry over night before adding anymore layers. 




  • Once completely dry, I covered my complete paper with a coat of gesso. 
  • I covered my embellishments with 2 coats of heavy body white gessso. 
  • I adhered my chipboard pieces as well before the coat of gesso with the help of tacky glue. 




  • To add more layer and texture to my project I added some white crackle texture paste on the edges, on the embellishments and near the brick chipboard pieces. It added a beautiful distressed texture to my project. 
  • I then let the texture paste dry naturally to get the desired cracks.




  •  For painting the project, I used impasto paints. I stared with blue tone and mixed a bit of pink here and there. To add highlights i used black spray paint. 
  • I distressed the edges using distress ink with the help of an ink blending tool. 
  • I added some micro and mega art stones on the project to add more texture and a dimensional layer. 
  • I topped my embellishments with metallique waxes to enhance the texture on them. 
  • I also added an angel made from paper clay which I colored with black gesso and highlighted with metallique waxes. 



  • Finally to finish off the complete look I added the chipboard word piece 'Inspire' in a frame. 



 Here are some close ups for you see the beautiful textures and layers on the project. 






I hope this inspires you to use unused materials from your stash and create a piece of art of your own. 

Until next time
XOXO
JK

--

List of Supplies:
  1. Mod-podge matte-matt-matte
  2. Heavy body gesso white - Prima
  3. White crackle texture paste - Prima
  4. Heavy body gel medium - Liquitex
  5. Texture paste opaque matte - Ranger
  6. Net Stencil - Little birdie
  7. Impasto Paints - Crimson, Cobalt & Azure - Prima
  8. Color Splash - charcoal spray paint - Little birdie
  9. Metallique Waxes - Bronze Age & Rose gold - Prima
  10. Bhabby Bricks - Papericious Pattern Chippis
  11. Mudra chipzeb words 1
  12. Mega & mini art stones - Prima


No comments:

Post a Comment